Home insurance is a form of property insurance that covers losses and damages to an individual's residence along with furnishings and other assets in the home. Home insurance may have a different title depending on the type of policy needed.
Who Should Purchase Home Insurance and Why?
- Owners: To protect both your house and personal property. - Homeowners insurance
- Tenants: To protect your furniture and personal property. - Renters insurance
- Everyone: Protection against liability for accidents that injure other people or damage their property.
How Much Home Insurance Is Needed?
- Asset Protection: More coverage generally means you will have less to pay out of your own pocket if disaster strikes. You must determine the amount you can financially afford to lose or need to receive in order to rebuild? Depending upon your determination, more insurance may be the answer. You should insure your property to the value you believe your home is worth to obtain maximum protection. You need enough liability coverage to protect yourself from lawsuits resulting from your possible negligence.
- Lender Requirements: Your lender may require you to cover the house for at least the amount of the mortgage. This may be too little or too much for your individual circumstances. You are not required to purchase insurance from the insurer recommended by your lender.
- Policy Requirements: Insurers may impose some conditions for replacement cost protection, including your insuring the property to value.
Below are additional informational pages to help understand Home Insurance