Certified Application Counselor
CERTIFIED APPLICATION COUNSELOR MENU
WHAT IS A CERTIFIED APPLICATION COUNSELOR?
A certified application counselor is an individual who is licensed by the Arizona Department of Insurance and who is authorized by the United States Department of Health and Human Services to perform activities and duties described by 45 CFR 155.225, which are:
- Provide information to individuals and employees about the full range of QHP (Qualified Health Plan) options and insurance affordability programs for which they are eligible;
- Assist individuals and employees to apply for coverage in a QHP through the Exchange and for insurance affordability programs; and,
- Help to facilitate enrollment of eligible individuals in QHPs and insurance affordability programs. ARS § 20-336(1); 45 CFR 155.225(c).
WHO MUST BE LICENSED?
The following are exempt from the certified application counselor license requirements:
- A person who holds a license as an accident and health or sickness insurance producer.
- A person who is working as a certified application counselor only on tribal lands and who, as a condition of employment, was required to complete a security background investigation for federal service (including a criminal history records check and fingerprinting).
Any other person who performs the duties of a certified application counselor must be licensed to act as a certified application counselor.
All insurance professionals (both residents and nonresidents) can apply for licenses, renew licenses, and update addresses and phone numbers online through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR), at www.nipr.com.
NIPR license and renewal applications are easy to complete, and we can usually process them faster than applications that are mailed to us. NIPR charges a small transaction fee (around $5 to $7) to process a license application and fee payment. Many people have found that overall, the added convenience plus the time and postage savings are worth paying the fee.
USE NIPR FOR FREE to change an address, e-mail address or phone number!